Friday, April 22, 2005

The voices in my head continued

Having never been a fan of tuna casserole I was quick to point out that I had already eaten my dinner. He thought on that for a while before he got off his big person chair and toddled over to the garbage can. Bowl in hand.
“Put it in there.”
“Dustin,” I admonished, “you can’t throw out your dinner.”
“Why?” At the time his favorite word, which in actuality, is still his favorite word twelve years later.
“Dustin you can’t waste food with all the children starving in Ethiopia”
And there she was.
I turned quickly as if to catch her in the act of putting words into my mouth. I looked frantically around the kitchen. Behind the refrigerator, in the pantry. She had to be there somewhere.
“Mommy, whatcha lookin’ for?”
“I’m looking for Nana.” I said from inside a cupboard.
My wonderful son, of course, thought I was teasing.
“Nana’s not here silly”
And she wasn’t.
That was the first day my mother popped out of my mouth but it wouldn’t be the last.
I should have given her that eviction notice right then and there before she invited Dad to join her.
Instead I walked with my son to the garbage can and dumped the tuna casserole..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home