Monday, April 25, 2005

The new millionaires

Girls take my advice and marry an appliance repair man. They will be , if they're not already, millionaires.

Last week I called the repair man to come fix my washer.
"He'll be there Friday." The girl on the phone told me.
"Do you know what time?" I ask. Thinking it a reasonable question.
"Late morning-early afternoon." She replies.
"What the hell does that mean? Late morning -early afternoon. I decide this must mean between ten and two. So my day is shot.
Repair men are very much like the cable and phone company, time is of no consequence.

I live in a small town with few choices. The only industry here is the illegal cultivation of marijuana so people tend to move quite slowly. I should have kept that in mind when I took the day off work to deal with this repair issue. Had I been thinking I would have known the man would not be here within the time lines.
He arrived at close to three.
It took two minutes for him to look at the machine.
Another minute to tell me it wasn't worth fixing and twenty seconds to take my fifty- five dollar check.

Fifty-five dollars for three minutes work.

My oldest son arrived home as I was on my way out to purchase a new washer. I informed him that he would be attending trade school instead of university.
"Why?" he asked( remember this is his favorite word)
"Because," I replied running out the door, "I want you to be a millionaire."

Tell me do repair men cost this much in other parts of the world?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am here to tell you..... yes repairmen cost that much every where. Great advise to the single women out there. lol

Keep coming with all the great stories. I know that there are many out there who can totally relate. Even me. I wonder why! Thankyou Peggie

7:38 PM  
Blogger Peggie said...

Thank You!
Nice to here from you, come back again sometime. :)

8:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home