Tuesday, August 02, 2005

I'm back!

Reno was an experience and a half.
First we (my mom and I) flew into Vegas. My sister didn't get in till after midnight and mom and I had been up since 3 am to catch our flight in Vancouver. So our first night in Vegas was a write off. The next day and night we walked and shopped and ate and saw amazing sights. Vegas is something else, there is no way we could see all we wanted to see in that one day. I will have to go back again some day and just spend a weekend exploring.
Reno was even better. We arrived Wednesday afternoon just in time to change and go to the literacy signing. We stood in line for such a long time. A woman behind us was appalled because we had each brought one favorite book to have signed by a favorite author. "did you bring you're own books? She asked with a tone that clearly indicated her disapproval. Before we could answer her she went on to say "this is for literacy..."
"we will be buying books as well." I said interrupting her rudeness.
If the horrid little troll from, I think it was, cafe press ever reads this I would like to inform her that we bought over a hundred dollars worth of books each and ensured that three people who had not read the first two books of Nora's In The Garden trilogy were able to get one of the precious few copies that were available. They hadn't sent Nora enough books and since we had already read the books we did not buy them.
So for the horrid little troll HA!

I was so fortunate to meet many of my favorite authors and for my Mom and sister- who are avid readers- it was a thrill to be able to attend that event.
My Mom was almost brought to tears after having her favorite book signed by the queen of romance Nora Roberts and for me that was a highlight of the night. My having the drive to write and publish my books allowed my Mom to meet her favorite author. What a beautiful side effect.
I was fortunate to meet Suzanne McMinn in person and get a signed copy of The Beast Within. Which I had been looking for all over Nelson and Kamloops. You see it was sold out everywhere. What a compliment to Suzanne but a frustration to me. I was so happy the book was there.
I am also happy to report that my Mom read and finished The Beast in two days and loved it. She says that Suzanne's descriptive powers are wonderful, not too much not to little, and just enough to immerse you in the story world she has created and allow you your imagination at the same time. So two thumbs up from Mom Suzanne !
I had so many books from the event that I had to buy another suitcase to bring them home in!
I met Jennifer Crusie and Julie Leto. Went to a book party for Suzanne Brockmann. She was so nice by the way. And listened to Nora Roberts tell a room full of people about her writing process.
Nora Roberts is a Pantzer and I was thrilled to find that out. I'm a pantzer and have been feeling like I would never amount to anything if I didn't start plotting in an organized fashion. ( so not my strong point) I don't feel that way anymore.
The conference was amazing and inspiring. Sure I would change things next time. I will stay at the same hotel with roommates. You meet so many people but you never see them again so I didn't develop any strong bonds with anyone. I was exhausted from late nights and early mornings so didn't meet up with people after. I also had my Mom and sister with me and wanted to spend time with them as well. I will not do the basic courses next time as most of what I got I already have. And I will make sure I am there early enough to get my bearings. I think I missed a lot because I was too late for the newcomers orientation.
But all in all I learned more than I can say. It was the experience of a lifetime and I want to win a Golden Heart! Yes that is my goal. Next year I will enter the Golden Heart and I will at least final! OH Yes I will!
I'm going to take my pictures in today and hope to have some for you tomorrow.
For now that is all.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was great to meet you, too, Peggie!!!! And thank you so much for buying my book. And tell your mom thank you, too!!

6:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wasn't Reno fun? If exhausting!

Can't wait to see the pics you post! I love hopping around and seeing everyone's pictures.

2:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wished i was with you. I missed you and had to suffer with no coffee buddy.... glad you had fun. you deserved it.

8:29 PM  
Blogger Peggie said...

Kacey! Exhausted doesn't even begin to descibe how I feel right now!

9:41 PM  
Blogger Peggie said...

Yvonne, I wish you were there too! we would have had fun.

9:41 PM  
Blogger Peggie said...

Suzanne I was happy to buy your book! I'm reading it right now.

9:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yep, Reno was lots of fun but completely exhausting!

12:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home