Friday, July 08, 2005

Fear

So in 17 days I'm flying to Vegas and then to Reno for the RWA conference. It's my first conference and I am excited beyond words. I know from my work life that a conference and the workshops contained within can be the most inspiring and motivating activity one can participate in. I can't wait!
However...
Flying is a scary experience for me. True more people die in car crashes than plane crashes- or so people say to ease a troubled mind- but I am driving my car. I'm not driving my plane. To add to my already fear based flying experience we've had yet another attack to public transport in yet another freedom based nation. That is scary.
My home country has not been attacked or directly threatened at this point and we are not blindly following Bush into his war on Iraq but we are not free from the danger. We represent, as much as any democratic society, what these terrorists claim they hate. That niggles in the back of my mind as I plan my trip.
Being Canadian it's just a niggle. We aren't prone to fear based over-reactions but that doesn't mean we don't have the fear or contemplate the issues that plague our world. We do.
I will take my trip with the knowledge that I will be ok. If only I could tell that little niggle to go away.

They'd better have lots of wine on that plane!

My thoughts and prayers are with all those in Britain dealing with this terrible tragedy.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hugs on the flying fears, Peggie! Just remember the odds and imagine yourself already in Reno while you're on the plane!

3:21 PM  
Blogger Peggie said...

Suzanne I plan to lose myself in a good book. Hopefully that and copious amounts of red wine will get me through! :)

7:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

She will also be with the dreaded ozonol Mom. lol I'm not sure if thats a comfort or.....

5:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home