Sunday, July 03, 2005

Contests

I'm thinking about entering some contests. I've only entered one. It was a short essay contest which I didn't win and didn't get feedback on. I have no idea if they thought my entry was adequate or if the judge(s) laughed their asses off at my completely inept grammar and punctuation.

Although there are a few RWA chapters in Canada most of the open contests right now are in the states. This means that in order to enter and pay the entry fee I have to purchase a money order in American funds and mail it to them. I also have to mail the entry via American post and postage. A hassle to say the least. But if I want impartial feedback on my work this is what I have to do.
I did find one contest that takes entries via email and payment via paypal. This chapter is brilliant to say the least. You can enter and pay from your very own home. No extra charges for money order. Paypal calculates the exchange for you so no curious bank tellers to deal with. No postage issues and equally curious postal worker. Brilliant I tell you.
So with this contest I have no excuse not to enter...

That is a little scary.

I like writing in my blog and for the most part I'm happy with my entries. I'm happy to share my blog with friends and fellow writers. I was thrilled to see that an author I admire had come to visit and left comments, which no one does.
But I am scared to death to send out one of the chapters from my WIP.
Do I want and welcome feedback, yes. Would I like to know if I'm on the right track, Yes.
Then what scares me?

When it comes to my WIP I know I'm not as good as I'd like to be. I am afraid for people to read it because I am not as good as some of the authors I admire.

I know, I know, that comes with time and practice. I know having read almost every Nora Roberts that some of her early work is not so good. I know from reading early works of various well known and admired authors that the books they wrote got better and better with each one. That each of them have some crap manuscripts hidden under their beds.
I know all this and still I am scared. Perhaps I put too much pressure on myself. I want my books to be good, loved by those who read them including myself.
And I guess in order to get there I have to let go and let the readers tell me what they want, what would make them love it. And for that to happen I will have to bite the bullet and enter a contest.

Wish me luck. No wish me talent!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wishing good luck AND good talent to you! :)

4:42 AM  
Blogger Peggie said...

Thanks Suzanne!

7:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home