Saturday, August 20, 2005

Are you kidding me????

I recently attended a workshop on stress in the work place. This is a good thing as my top secret job is very stressful. However one piece of advice the -very pregnant with her first child- instructor told us was don't multi task. What? Don't multi task? How the hell does one get through a day with out multitasking? She says we should be present fully in everything that we do.
I haven't been fully present in anything that I've done in eighteen years.
I'm happy to get a phone call, it's a good opportunity to do the dishes. I hate conference calls but I am able to clear off quite a few emails during that period of time. I think of story ideas and set scenes in my head during meetings and in fact restructured my entire office during a two day managers meeting.
I fold laundry while I watch TV and clean my shower while I am taking one. I usually have four to six web sites running at the same time and I am doing something on each of them while I play spider solitaire. Right now I'm having my morning coffee while I write this blog.

I 'd like to have a conversation with that woman ten years from now and see how she's doing with the 'fully present' concept after she has had some time raising her child who is attending school and maintained her day job.

Fully present! That's crazy talk.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a hard time multi-tasking, at least when I'm writing. If I'm not writing, I multi-task out the wazoo. If I'm writing, I can't do anything else! I'm useless!

5:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not a good multi-tasker either ...

7:34 AM  
Blogger Peggie said...

That's true I can't multi task while I'm writing but I do think of my book while doing other things.
Good to see you Jill and Suzanne.

8:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home