Monday, November 20, 2006

Lets talk about love

A friend of mine recently started dating a man. I mean recently. I met him last weekend and he seems like an ok guy. Except for a few things that set off alarm bells in my head. Like when he told me that he made her tell him that she loved him. I asked him why. He replied, "I want what I want."
Huh?
Doesn't "I love you" mean more when it's given freely? When it's said with a clear picture of who that person is, what they believe and with a full knowledge of their faults. And how can he possibly expect that she truly loves him after such a short time. One can love the idea of someone else, one can love the possibilities but until you truly know someone you can't possibly love them in the purest sense of the word.
One of my favorite quotes is "more important than your love for me, is my love for you- for that is all mine"
That mind set frees you, someone doesn't have to love you for you to love them.
Love is like any emotion. I have to own my anger, I have to own my jealousy or my pettiness therefore I should also own my affection, my love, my happiness.
If he makes her tell him she loves him how can he ever believe that to be true? Even if she does love him, which I highly doubt, he will never know because he made her say it. It just doesn't have any meaning now.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I believe one of the purest forms of love is between a mother and child. Even that has its hardships but it doesn't end.

Mom!

9:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home