Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Sometimes there just isn't much to say

I've been remiss. Sometimes there isn't much to say. Life rolls along as always one day very much like the rest. Sunday I did something different.

I'm currently reading Stephen Kings "on Writing." I can hear all you writers gasping in horror that I have not read this book before. What can I say, I'm reading it now. It's a fascinating book.
Sunday I took my fascinating book and went for a walk downtown. Downtown consists of one street, six blocks long that houses at least seven coffee houses. Not one of them a Starbucks.
We don't like big business in our little town. Most of the citizens are still up in arms over the big old walmart that casts its shadow over the lake. One of the only Walmarts in existence with out a McDonald's in it. That would have been the broken straw.
Back to Sunday.
I took my fascinating book and found a comfy coffee shop with a comfy chair and I read. For hours. It was wonderful. I drank my coffee and ate my muffin and was completely fascinated by Stephen King. Finally my cell phone rings, jarring me from Stephens world and back into my own.

"Mom?"
"Hello Dustin."
"Where are you?"
"Downtown, Why?"
"I was just wondering, you've been gone a long time."
Dustin is sixteen years old. At this point I'm supposed to wonder where he is and he is supposed to be happy I am no where to be seen. Since this is usually the case I am quite curious about this phone call.

"I'm just having some coffee and enjoying the day."

"When are you coming home?"
Ahhh, I think to myself, there it is. He either wants something from me. Most likely money. Or he's is doing something he's not supposed to and wants to know how much time he has to continue doing that something. I decide not to give him any comfort.

"I don't know when I'll be home, could be in a few minutes, could be a few hours. Why what do you need?"

"Oh nothing, I was just wondering, you never tell me where you are."
I never tell him where I am cause I am at home, normally. I don't point this out to him I just play along having the answer to my former question on his motives.

"Ok then, I'll see you later on, bye Dustin."

Dustin not having the answer to his question gives me a hesitant goodbye and hangs up.

The end of my lovely morning I get up and walk home to catch him in the act of whatever it is that he's doing.

I really should go out more often.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home