Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Romance covers

Today on Romancing the Blog, Kassia Krozser tackled a touchy subject in the industry.
Romance cover art and the image it projects.
There are some who love the covers, want to fantasize over the hunky hero on the cover, need a visual to help them decide which book to pick from the many on the shelves. I understand that but I don't support it. I think the majority of readers(especially women) love a good romance. It doesn't matter who published it as long as it's good. The sad reality is that many publishers limit sales for fine authors by forcing cheesy covers and cheesy titles on to the book jackets. I'm looking at one right now. The awful title is "The Sheik & The Princess In Waiting" The cover shows a woman in a beautiful dress that most won't notice because of the HUGE diamond necklace being placed around her neck by the sheik (I presume).
The sheik, standing behind the woman appears to be looking down her dress. Ok. maybe he's looking in her eyes but come on! As if that isn't enough to make me read this book only in the confines of my room where no one will ever see it, there is an emblem on the front declaring it a Desert Rogues book.
The other book on my desk right now is called 'How To Get Your Man' The title is great and the cover isn't so bad but the down the left had side of the front cover is a great big banner announcing it a Special Edition. Very recognizable so I won't be hauling that one out at the coffee shop either, much too obvious.
Is it just me or has the publisher dashed any hope for these author's to draw in new readers?
If we write in order to have the stories in our heads shared with others don't we want more people to buy our books? Wouldn't we want to attract the masses? Wouldn't we want to appeal to a wide range of readers? Why would we limit ourselves to only those who buy category romance. If the covers were more subtle would the regular buyers stop buying? If the titles more grown up would they turn tail and run?
I think not.
The worst that would happen is more readers feeling comfortable enough to pick up and read our books in public.
What could be bad about that?

Being unpublished I may one day end up with one of these cheesy covers and terrible titles. It will make me very sad if I do but you can mock me freely for going against my better judgment and agreeing with the publishers requirements!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the covers. They tell me what the book is about.
Jenna

8:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A lot of the covers have changed lately! Have you seen the July Supers, for instance? A lot of the July releases have updated covers. All of the July SIMs have great covers, too!

2:12 PM  
Blogger Peggie said...

Suzanne, thanks for visiting.
I have noticed the new covers and I love them. I love the cover on your new book and have to say Sheryl Woods covers are nice. Not so obvious.
I also have a couple of intrigues that have great covers. I have to say I am quite happy to see the changes.

5:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home