Wednesday, June 08, 2005

My Dad and I

I'm at my parents place for a little visit. It's raining here just as it was at home. Sucks that one can drive for seven hours and still be under the same freak'n cloud!
But I digress.
What often happens when there is a mixture of me, my dad and wine is heated conversations about politics. The party of the day, unions, gov't employees. In my top secret job as a government employee I am privy to information that the general public isn't or if they are they don't get it. My Dad loves this, even though we are usually on opposite sides of the political fence.
He loves that I can tell him what the truth behind the headlines is or that his favorite columnist in the Province is full of shit and doesn't know what he's talking about. He loves it!
I have to admit I love it too.
When I was young we didn't talk much, he was your typical sports loving coach dad and I was your typical non sporty, surly teenage girl. Not a lot of common ground.
It's interesting how relationships change as we grow older. I'm sure my Dad is pleased to see that his wisdom actually sunk in. That all his "every action has a reaction Peggie" and "Nothing in life is free you have to work for what you want" is tightly ingrained in my outlook and will likely stay there for the remainder of my life.
I know this pleases him and to be honest it pleases me too. I believe that we have to work for what we get. There is no free ride and that we are remembered for our actions. I hope I have passed these beliefs to my sons. We'll see when they're thirty.
There is much of my Dad in me.
Funny too how there is much of his Dad in him. He on the other hand does not appear happy when I point that out.
I think for the most part he got the good stuff.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home