Sunday, August 28, 2005

Creepy Canadian Wildlife


This is the Asian long horn beetle. Don't let this picture fool you these bugs are huge and the antennae are VERY long.
Not only are they huge but they are not afraid of you. The bouncing up and down, shaking your arms and screeching tactic that works to scare most bugs away does not work on this bug it just stays attached to you and does not move until you knock it off your person with force.
I don't like that.
My first experience with this horrid beetle was a couple of years ago while camping outside of Revelstoke. What should have been a lovely camping trip enjoying the scenery and the quiet mountains sounds turned into a paranoid freak fest after I had been introduced to this vicious creature. For some unknown reason these bugs are attracted to me and so I spent most of my time swatting them away dancing about like a crazy woman and keeping paranoid watch for the next invasion. Luckily I didn't encounter another one for a long time ....Until this summer.
First I found a dead one on my deck. I was glad it was dead but not glad to know that they had made their way to my home. That they now lurk near by waiting for me to be in a relaxed state on my deck so they can attack and startle me into the dance that they seem to enjoy so much.
The web site says they pose no risk to humans.
I beg to differ.
Yesterday on our way home from visiting my parents my son David and I stopped at a road side rest stop to stretch our legs and shovel out the road trip garbage that had accumulated on the floor of our car.
Ever vigilant I saw it approach and land on the pavement some ten feet away.
I watched, horror filled me as it took flight and bore down on me. Knowing it's intent I ran. Fast. It flew after me chasing me in circles around my car. It chased me around the car three times never wavering from it's destination. Me!
Finally I saw an opportunity and dove into my car slamming the door behind me. We quickly drove away the sound of David's hysterical laughter in my ear for the next five kilometers.
We didn't stop again till we got home.
I have since beat two of them to death on my porch and I'm afraid to go out there. I think the rest of the summer will be spent indoors!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home