Sunday, May 15, 2005

Emotional writing

I have always been able to write best when my life has some turmoil. Perhaps writing is a form of escape for me. Some of my best stuff shows itself on the page when I am at my worst.
I discovered this week that there is a fine line between writing turmoil and the absolute inability to write because of the turmoil. The fore-mentioned explains my absence from the blog.
Today I will snap out of it and write myself out of the turmoil induced block.

Sometimes life can cripple a person. We can choose to allow it to do that forever, or we can allow it for a few days, or we can ignore it all together. The first and last choices don't work. It's no fun to be emotionally crippled for life and if we just ignore it the bits pile up until the mountain is so high we can't climb over it. Sometimes it's best to wallow a few days and get on with it. I wallowed this week and now I am done. I hope. Spring is a terrible thing to waste.

It's raining today. I love rain in May, it's so much better than March rain or November rain.
When it rains in May it smells like fresh cut grass and wild roses, hopeful smells. I sit at my computer and look out into the back yard, The trees are wet with the rain dripping onto the stone walk way leading to my house. Dandelions have taken over my yard and the grass is long. It has rained every weekend for the last three weeks, not that I'm chomping at the bit to mow anyway. Mowing is not high on my list of choice activities, yet another reason to appreciate May rain.

Eddie can't stand the rain. He will stay outside long enough to do his business then right back in. No endless sniffing for the best spot, no chasing leaves, just out and back. It doesn't make sense this is the dog who will spend hours playing in the snow, roll in mud as well as other more smelly but equally squishy stuff and has even rolled in bear crap on several occasions (yes bear crap. I suspect he has small dog complex and was trying to make himself smell bigger and scarier) yet a little rain sends him into a state.

It rains a lot here. The weather can be quite coastal even though we are hundreds of kilometers away from the ocean at the foot of the Rockies. Normally I despair the amount of rain and have been known to complain endlessly about the lack of sunshine but today the rain feels appropriate smells fresh and sounds soothing.
Today the rain is ok....Tomorrow I'd like to see the sun.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home