Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Personal space

What is with people? I've noticed lately and to be honest many times in the past that some people have no sense.
The other day I was in line for a lotto ticket. I was last in line and had left a good amount of space between myself and the man in front of me. It was the perfect amount of space, enough so he's comfortable and I'm comfortable and not enough to confuse people as to my status in the line up. Before long a woman gets into line behind me. Now, she is last in line. She is so close to me I can feel her breathing on my neck. I glance behind me. A quick glance so she knows that I know she's there with the glance I can assess whether she has to be that close because someone is behind her. Nope she's still last in line.
I move up a little, congratulating myself for leaving enough space to allow me to move ahead with out getting into the space of the man ahead of me. She moves up too. I look at her again, this time a little more directly. Hoping she will take the hint. She doesn't and there still isn't anyone behind her. I move up a little more, conscious that I am now stepping into dangerous territory. Soon I could be sandwiched between two strangers with no room to move.
She moves up as well.
The woman is pissing me off now. I wonder if I'm on some stupid hidden camera show. Past experience tells me I'm not. She is just one of those people.
I wonder what I can do. It seems as though we've been in line forever. The lack of personal space is beginning to make me feel desperate. I have to get this woman off my ass!
Suddenly I know what to do.
I turn quickly and suddenly, pretending to reach for something and elbow her with enough force to cause her some discomfort but not enough to cause pain. She backs up. An instinctual reaction. I pretend I'm shocked and apologize profusely for accidentally elbowing her.
I'm relieved, happy to breathe again and not feel her creepy breath on my neck. I think I will do this from now on.
Look out those of you who crowd in line, who look over my shoulder while I punch in my interact code. I'm not going to take it anymore. You will receive an elbow. The closer you are the more it will hurt.
Just issuing a warning!
:)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I miss your daily blogs........
My morning coffee isn't the same... without you...

8:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home