Saturday, September 03, 2005

Yet another blog about Katrina

I read http://www.larissaione.com/soapbox/ larissa's Blog this morning and cried. I can't imagine having to go through what she has gone through and I relate completely to her fears about her cat. I've found myself thinking a lot about this terrible disaster and not just the impact it currently has on the people who live in the affected areas but also the impact it will have for the world. The devastation and loss of life is heartbreaking. I can't begin to express the grief I feel for those living through this horrific event.
I've always wanted to go to New Orleans, not for Mardi Gras, but for the incredible history it holds. Decadence, culture, the vibe and the voodoo. It will never be the same, beautiful old southern homes, Bourbon st, the French quarter. All hit hard.
I know I will never see the same city as those who saw it before this terrible force of nature hit.

But nature teaches us a lesson once again. We don't live our lives right. We spend too much time making a living, making homes, buying stuff to put in those homes and putting off experiencing all that life can offer. Is the be all and end all really just stuff? If we never experience another culture, another country, another way to live have we really lived at all. I regret never going to New Orleans. It wouldn't have been that much of a hardship to go. We're on the same continent for Christ sake. Instead I have a roof over my head, food in my freezer and stuff in my house. I also have a deep sadness that I never took that chance and perhaps now it's too late.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home