Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Blog hopping

I've been Blog hopping this morning. Not the usual ones I visit.
What I've found is a mixture of fun entertaining reads and pseudo-intellectual drivel. I don't understand why people feel the need to assert their intelligence by using obscure words and quoting people who have been dead for decades and probably didn't make sense when they were alive. I don't enjoy those blogs. I'm sure there are people that do.
I guess it depends on your taste. I like people. I like to know what people do and why they do it. I like to know what they think and feel in a given situation and I would like that information delivered to me in a plain package. I don't want to have to unravel reams of bullshit to get to the core of a being. But that's me. I love a book about people. I don't love a book about theories.
As humans we are so very interesting and diverse that one could (and there are those that have) study us a life time and still be surprised by what he found on a daily basis.
Yesterday I watched Oprah because I love her and because she was covering the hurricane aftermath. Again I was inspired by her kindness in the face of tragedy. I was inspired by the people who made it through and crushed for those who have no idea where their children are. I can't imagine. I also can't imagine being shut in a facility in the dark for five days while gang members killed each other and anyone else who got in the way, where children were raped in the bathroom and bodies were left to rot in front of me, I just can't fathom it. Yet I have read opinions of various people today that shock me.
There are those out there who think these people deserved what they got because they didn't evacuate.....Excuse my language but What the Fuck?!!!!
These people remind me why I've never had a lot of respect for pseudo-intellectuals. They know a text book, they can quote dead people and use words no one knows the meaning of but they know shit about the human condition.
How dare they place blame on these people. How can they know what it was to be in that place at that time? Can they possibly know what kinds of choices these people had to make. I've seen this kind of fear and confusion. People are afraid to leave their homes afraid of the unknown. People also tend to think things won't happen to them even in the face of a hurricane and people tend to choose to stay with loved ones -who can not possibly walk fifty miles to safety- rather than save their own lives.
So lets not blame the victims (an action I equate to the "she deserved it just look at how short her skirt is" comments made towards rape victims) Lets help the victims in any way we can.
With out judgment.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's terrible what has gone in the Astrodome. I can't even imagine the nightmare of being trapped in there.

4:43 AM  
Blogger Peggie said...

I know. I hate that these things happen to us

4:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home